If you're considering dance classes for your child, it's important to know how they can be beneficial to your child's development and future success.
1. Dance accelerates the development of LOGICAL-MATHEMATICAL INTELLIGENCE through counting and rhythm. A dance program that also focuses on musicality can improve a student's success in Math.
2. Dance enhances executive functions through LINGUISTICS and learning French vocabulary. A good dance program will integrate the definitions of French ballet terms into the classroom, teaching students a new language and thus enhancing their executive functions.
3. Dance improves COGNITIVE SKILLS through the development of MOTOR SKILLS and KINESTHETIC INTELLIGENCE. There is a direct correlation between a child's development of motor skills and cognitive skills. Dance improves both!
4. Dance strengthens a child's ability to TAKE RISKS and SOLVE PROBLEMS through creative imagination exercises. These two particular skills are included in the list of character traits that studies show best predict a child's future success in college and beyond.
5. Dance creates opportunities for self-expression and communication. It's important for kids to learn healthy and effective forms of expression and communication early in life. Dance also fosters an individual’s ability to better interpret interpersonal nonverbal communication.
6. Dance education helps students develop physical fitness, appreciation of the body, concern for sound health practices, and effective stress management approaches, improving a child's overall well-being.
When you're looking for a dance school, make sure you find one that emphasizes musicality, French vocabulary, self-regulation, creativity, self-expression and healthy choices!
Here's another article on the incredible benefits of dance for kids from Mom Loves Best!